Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk July 24, 2024

Saturday, July 13, 2024

Saturday in Black Mountain

Well, I'm over at the Tailgate Market of course, showing my pottery to the folks who just really have thought; "great aunt Gertie might like that and she's always got room for one more little piece of pottery"...or perhaps "that is just the thing I need for my ----!" Thinking positive this week!


I forgot to introduce you to our favorite critter visitor last week, this charming little grasshopper. She had really sticky feet, and when we tried to flick her off my finger, after she quite willingly walking on it from Amelia's arm, she held on for dear life. We finally gently put her in the bouquet of flowers that were displaying a beautiful vase.

Lake Tomahawk Canada Geese

The picnic shelter offered cool shade on Wednesday last week...and there was a great breeze off the water to increase the cooling of our 84 degrees of sunshine.

Better detail of the Canada Geese. They seem happy feeding in the grass, perhaps recently cut so there's lots of goodies. But they also are not-so-politely waiting for the folks picnicking in the shelter, as seen above in silhouette. The white ones often will waddle right into the picnic area looking for scraps.

Lake Tomahawk Dam

As of Wednesday last week, there were sprinklers working on the dam. Some of the grass looks a bit parched.

And for those thinking of fishing, it is allowed in the lake, with usual state licensing provisions, but I think kids can do so without a license.

10-30-1904 Hannah's Reef, Galveston Bay.

My grandfather, George Rogers was probably the smallest man there. And his sister Annie Lou might have been the person on the far left. I never saw my grandfather with hair, so he could perhaps have been the boatman on the far right. That gentleman isn't holding a fishing pole. But this is all conjecture, and I never bet on my own guesses. Don't they have a fine catch!

I prefer Norman Rockwell's version of fishing!

Today's quote:

When we offer nothing but excuses in our lives, we are not being honest with anybody, mostly ourselves.


Sharing with Sepia Saturday this week

and Eileen's Saturday Critters





24 comments:

  1. beautiful! I have not seen any grasshoppers yet. They cut so much of the forest so I guess they hopped elsewhere. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, Barbara, you do post early in the day. That isn't a complaint btw, just an observation. Good luck withe the pottery today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have that habit, the 3 am post. Not that I'm awake, but I can schedule it ahead by years if I like! Thanks for your good wishes, I did sell a bit of pottery Saturday!

      Delete
  3. ...fishing ain't about catching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I love that fishing photo from Norman Rockwell. The grasshopper is so cute and tiny! I assume the geese find food or bugs in the grass. Good luck at the market. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping for a day of good sales and cool breezes for your market!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck at the market! I love the Rockwell picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Vicki! Market went pretty well. If Rockwell painted it, I'll like it.

      Delete
  7. How I wish we had your 84 degrees with a great breeze here in California! At least this morning with full cloud cover the temp is only 87 at 8:30 in the morning. Yesterday it got up to 104. The day before, 112 - and that was in the shade! I don't ever remember a heat wave with such severe temps as long as this one has been. We're being promised relief - of a sort - with temps coming down into the high 90s for the next few days. Oh goody. Anyhoo, I hope you have good luck selling your pottery. Things you've shown us in the past have always looked so pretty & interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! You are sure enduring heat! Hope you stay inside, or in the water!!

      Delete
  8. We've such heat here, as well. It fries my brain.
    That is a katydid! Our cat used to bring them home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the Norman Rockwell fishing. Great photos of the Canada geese. With climate change, we have these geese year round in NYC now -- they don't bother flying south, and are much as you describe: waddling up to humans for a handout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the intersection between humans and wild animals has certainly changed!

      Delete
  10. Hello. Beautiful landscape photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't recall anyone in my family ever talking of having been fishing, and there's certainly nothing in the family albums to indicate that either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. Though I do have some vague memories from back in my 20s trying my hand at it. Not enough patience probably.

      Delete
  12. A great post to celebrate summer. My experience with fishing has been mainly in saltwater, where big fish like those in your Galveston photo were the prize to go after. They look like striped bass - rockfish which are a seasonal fish and good eating. What little freshwater fishing I've done never measured up to the effort. I still don't understand fly fishing for trout which get caught and then released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like fresh caught trout...which is from a pond considered a trout farm. Still is nice to eat. I also prefer most saltwater seafood. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  13. From Scotsue - a beautiful picture of Lake Tomahawk and I had smile at the Norman Rockwell cartoon. But do please show us more of your pottery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, and I'm slowly deciding which is not saleable, and going to take a hammer to those. I threw pots on the wheel, then decorated them, but they were really not trimmed enough and are very heavy...not useful, and indeed embarrassing.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.