Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Monday, March 6, 2023

Saying goodbye to a volunteer position and....

It just wasn't celebrated enough I think. I've done it for years...indeed have returned to it after having had a paid position several years earlier, which included it.

I edited a monthly newsletter for my congregation. I enjoyed it, even if it was sometimes a chore to get people's submissions that they'd agreed to send. There was that one month when I had to chase down the minister, the religious education director (every month to be honest), and then I put the wrong people's birthdays in from the preceding month. It was a shambles, because I didn't even have a proof reader because she was sick. Would she have caught the birthday fiasco? I think not! It went to press as it was.

But all the other issues were right on. As we hippies used to say.



After that January edition I decided to give a 6 months notice. That's the end of the fiscal year, and changes do happen more at that time. However new blood in the organization wanted changes sooner. Since I had this up and down health issue, I missed a couple of meetings. I could have called and been on speaker, but it didn't happen. I didn't appreciate their way of telling me, "Barbara will be publishing her last edition in March."

Oh well. Now I am a free person, and it was really an easy job to do, just squeezed up at the end of each month to get it all organized.

And I am pretty well organized, at least as far as office methods go.

But let's admit, my emotions have not been served well.

So I shall work up a ritual where I let go of that job, and any resentments I may have, and get open to the next fun thing that may come along!

And it is probably already part of my life. A small group of dedicated environmentalists working to network with other groups, to provide a way for small groups of people to improve their neighborhoods...by teaching them about Doughnut Economics as a model to evaluate people's needs in balance with those of the earth. I've mentioned Doughnut Economics before. Check out here  if you're curious.

Our meeting Friday last had us brainstorming a way we could work under a non-profit so as to raise operating expenses. A late comer to the meeting said, "I know this group which would be ideal...interested in green ways in our towns." Just the timing that we needed.

Then we celebrated our first year as Swannanoa Watershed Action Network (SWAN)...some munchies, and a game which was cooperative and lots of information sharing.


The New York Times published it in Aug. 2022, called "Save the Earth."


At times I sat next to the youngest person there, a good contrast because I was probably the oldest person there!


We met our game's goal in time...within certain alloted moves, and everyone was involved in the success!



14 comments:

  1. ...too often volunteers aren't appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I've quit frrom other vol posts, there wasn't this gap. First of all, the committee didn't really control me, there's a Board over them. If committees started firing vols, there wouldn't be any! But I need some sense of appreciation, that's what is missing.

      Delete
  2. You are keeping remarkably interested and active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I keep feeling quite the opposite. If only I weren't carrying myself around in this out-of-date machine of a body!

      Delete
  3. One door closes; another opens--this new enterprise sounds just right for you. But I agree about the unceremonious dumping and lack of appreciation. Fie on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, fie on them! The thing about volunteers is, they come and go. It's just that way. Work hard, or hardly work. So it goes. My next biggie will be to figure out how to have these weekly meetings be available on FB or Google groups...without paying for a zoom account. Learning still, just learning...

      Delete
  4. I am surprised that they didn't communicate with you before publishing that information. Makes me wonder if they thought they had informed you, maybe by email or something that never reached you. I'm so glad though that you have something so important to our earth that you are working on. Thank you for that, for your commitment, energy and determination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I like the way you talk. A bit of that does my heart good to hear! Nope, it was actually an addition to the minutes, which went to the committee members, and thus me also. Boy was I livid!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. There are certainly other things to use my time for!

      Delete
  6. Some appreciation would have been nice. Glad you have something to offer to this group of people trying to benefit the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am intrigued by them. Learning a lot from them.

      Delete
  7. I’ve been in a similar situation. The challenges of producing a newsletter are not always appreciated. People think their teenager could do the job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am done with this kind of volunteering! I have done it several times, editing a newsletter. There is no gratitude! No appreciation. They didn't even tell me that they had outsourced it to a company. One just landed in my mailbox. I felt so useless.
    I was a bit shocked when Eileen displayed a new meme badge for her Saturday's Critters. She wanted a change, fair enough, but didn't tell me mine made when she started up was being replaced. It hurts.
    Then, I'm on a roll, I was treasurer for our local park and they decided to apply for a grant to hire someone to do it. Sorry to vent. It just can be defeating. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.