Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk June 12, 2024

Thursday, June 27, 2024

The eyes have it - plus some news about alcohol consumption

 


Last Friday I went to optometrist for annual eye exam. But the day before the appointment, they called to say my insurance had dropped them from covered list...so did I want to private pay? I agreed, for this time, and intend to call my insurance and complain. The optometrist office said that small outfits aren't being kept on the provider lists from insurance often now. I think I'll find a new one, though this one has been close to my home so I've used it for years. 


See, even the camera can't read the bottom line! My prescription for far sightedness and astigmatism hadn't changed, so I didn't need new lenses. She said the right eye can't be corrected any more than 20-25, whatever that means. 


After all the tests she found two interesting things.

I already knew I was dealing with dry eyes. But she also saw some mucous so said I needed to do antihistamine drops daily as well as the ones that help with dry eye. Now if I can just remember to do so!

The other interesting thing about my right eye is that she found wrinkles in it. I didn't get clarification as to where, but she said that contributed to not being able to correct it to 20-20. I'm quite satisfied that the worst I have to deal with is wrinkles, since I have them all over my body by now anyway.

However, it does limit my binocular vision, of being able to tell the distance things are away from me, which usually means I reach and come up short to touch them. But sometimes it can end up with me bumping into things. That I really don't need.

So the upshot of my eye exam was incredible gratitude to have the miracle of eyesight at all...where light hits those cones and rods, and turns them into electric messages to go through nerves to my brain and give me the information that I am seeing a lake, a sky, a bird, and colors of blue and green all around me. 

Yes, I'm visually oriented in the world. 


And last night I saw that Black Mountain, my quiet little town where all stores close at 5 pm, and just a few night clubs and restaurants are open the rest of the evening, now will have liquor available for special events on sidewalks and streets! Wow. The first one will be the Blues Festival in 2 weeks, I assume, since the promoters of it are also those who promoted the Social Event Ordinance which allows vendors to apply for ABC licenses for the events. Not sure what that means. Here's the article in the Citizen Times, which I couldn't share on FB, but it has a link HERE.

I don't feel good about this. Maybe I've just seen too many negative experiences with people drinking to excess. But it is akin to the New Orleans Mardi Gras experience to my mind. Not the town I want to live in at this point in my life.



Today's quote:

In 1917 Herbert B. Swope of the New York World won the first Pulitzer prize for journalism, and when he picked up his award, said: “I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula of failure — which is try to please everybody.”

11 comments:

  1. ...good news about your eye exam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Being able to treat dry eye and the infection is such a good thing. I think of others with more serious eye difficulties, and I'm very grateful.

      Delete
  2. I hope the eye drops help, eyesight is important, It is good to get those checkups. Love the view of the mountain and the cute kitty image. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a senior here, my basic exam is covered, but there are some special scans for which they charge me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting. Yes, I would have had to pay for certain tests, and they would have told me before hand. I didn't need anything beyond the regular check up, thankfully.

      Delete
  4. I would suggest if you are going to an activity where drinking🍷🍻 will be permitted, that you go early for pictures or whatever, and before things get too raucous for your tastes! That way you can still be involved without being offended by those who may get overserved!
    Go home early and enjoy the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice there Marcia! After all I do go home early usually anyway!

      Delete
  5. I would assume that the insurance people would have contacted you notifying of the change in your coverage. Shame on them. Glad you had good news from your exam. I need to have my eyes checked too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on the insurance people. They pay so little sometimes, I must laugh. I have a bill now where they paid $0.48.

      Delete
  6. When my state went to selling liquor in grocery stores and drugstores, I thought it was a terrible idea. We don't need to make liquor any more easily accessible as far as I'm concerned. I've seen so much tragedy related to alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just have wine and beer in grocery stores, the ABC stores carry the hard stuff, and no beer or wine. I've also seen tragedies related to alcoholism...having been a counselor and seen sad relapses of dear people who died.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.