Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Monday, April 3, 2023

After the blooms are gone

 Well, almost gone.

I was sick...my excuse for not making it over to see the cherry blossoms on this sweet old tree by the lake. These photos were taken March 26, 2023.




It was nap time for the Mallards

A young man was trying to fish to the left of this goose, who kept a sharp eye on him.

While to the right of those big rocks Mrs. Canada Goose had decided to nest in a most public place! How on earth they will protect their eggs from dogs and raccoons, I do wonder.

And tucked along the other side of that rock were a couple more Mallards. 

Japanese Maple buds overlooking the lake.


Lots of new signs.

There used to be railroad ties as steps here. I'm so glad it's been smoothed out and is much easier to walk as a ramp.

Speaking of walking, I'm slowly getting back to doing so, when the weather cooperates!


Today's quote:

 It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion, it is easy in solitude to live after your own; but the great man is he who, in the midst of the world, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)


13 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Lovely views from around the lake. It is good you are able to get outdoors for a walk. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That walk was near the last day of the antibiotics. I was reall pushing it. Seeing one or two blooms still on that tree was my incentive.

      Delete
  2. ...a cool spring makes the flowers last longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And...lack of strong winds or storms! Afraid that the earlier winds may have scattered a lot of them.

      Delete
  3. Blossom time is short and sweet. I think that goose will protect her eggs ferociously, but I don’t don’t know about after they hatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. The little ones may be scattering about. We shall see.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely day for a walk there, Barbara. I'm so glad you are feeling well and able to enjoy this beautiful spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin...I am getting out and about a bit at a time. Love having a phone to stop and take photos and catch my breath!

      Delete
  5. It must be nice to live by the lake as there is so much going on with nature and the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do envy those who live by the lake, but I have to drive over there from about a half mile away. Too far for me to walk.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.