Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Paggettown Road

 Warm days and cool nights, perfect spring weather, whether cloudy with some showers or nice and sunny. 

I have one eye with cataract removed, so it no longer can focus well with the glasses I have. At least I don't have to wear the shield over it except when going to sleep...so I don't inadevertently scratch it.  It was a long time after the procedure before it stopped being dialeted...so lights were a problem. I closed the blinds, and couldn't even look at screens for very long. Thankfully I got a library audio book to listen to.

Yesterday I met some friends for lunch and enjoyed forgetting about myself for a while! Our regular Saturday group of four. 

About my cataract surgery, it was the same as all hospital procedures, getting a vein when I was dehydrated from not being able to eat or drink since midnight the night prior. And even my blood pressure was pretty low, probably due to the same thing. Anyway, they decided to give me minimum sedation, saying if they needed to they could add to it, but it they started with heavier dose they couldn't take it out. 

I was fully awake, though all I heard was the machine making various noises, and I could see with the eye being operated upon...but it was not anything but lights and shapes, not a knife! I decided it was psychedelic. No diziness or nausea afterward, though I was ravenous and ate peanut butter crackers and a diet coke while being given discharge instructions...which were all written down. The nurse kept showing me the page she was reading from, but it was out of focus because I still didn't have my glasses on. Came home with the clear plastic shield taped to the right eye, wearing my big pair of sunglasses that go over my usual glasses. But I kept my right eye closed most of the time.

So now I'm doing lots of drops on a  schedule...and wearing my old glasses which work for typing here...though I think that's because my distance/mid-range correction is pretty minimal. One eye sees a bit of yellow tinted world (still through a cataract) and the new lens gives me bright bluish whites everywhere. And definitely brighter colors too! Can't wait to have the other one done in 2 weeks.



These are just two of the lovely homes on this old winding road on the east side of Black Mountain.




Today's quote;

Let love start this day. Let love end this day. Let love transform the minutes in between.

RACHEL MACY STAFFORD

18 comments:

  1. Sending prayers and well wishes, I hope your eye is healing well and back to normal soon. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eileen! I am healing very nicely! Next week I will see my own eye doctor and hopefully get a new lens for my glasses. Hope you have a good week ahead too!

      Delete
  2. ...continue enjoying your spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. I'm sure enjoying seeing better colors.

      Delete
  3. I hope all goes well with the post-surgery healing. I love seeing your views of spring there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, so far I'm doing ok with all the scheduled different drops in the new eye. I will hope to go take more photos soon.

      Delete
  4. You seem to be doing well.

    That rock garden looks quite lovely at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AC...these were taken before the eye surgery. That has cut down my photo opportunities because the new eye can't focus worth a hoot with the old glasses. I had driven up that road before springtime, and didn't remember the rock garden, let alone all the tulips. I guess it's been installed in the last year.Wish I had taken some closeups of the flowers.

      Delete
  5. Oh my! I cannot imagine being awake for such a procedure. You are certainly a trouper! Wishing you all good things for the next surgery. The photos are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue...when I think about something cutting into my eye, I'm also freaked out. But when you have no feeling whatsoever, and they've covered most of your face except that eye, it's kind of an interesting show...just look and see what happens next.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are doing well recovering. I had the surgery several years ago and I always dreaded the eye drops but made it through the recovering stage. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do take a lot of time, added to all my other medical procedures I have to follow daily. Getting old aint for the faint hearted! And I'll gladly do it instead of the alternative to getting older.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm a bit miffed now (Sunday evening) that the cough has returned. Drat it all, it was gone for 2 blessed weeks!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Well, it sure had lots of other people telling me they'd gone through it and it was quick and easy. So I pulled up my big-girl panties (a saying around here) and did what had to be done!

      Delete
  9. It's an amazing op isn't it? I recognise everything you say, it was a bit like watching fireworks. The drops regime afterwards is a chore but has to be kept up with. I'm so glad I got mine done. Made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.