Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, April 21, 2023

What's going on at home...

 

A gorgeous pink dogwood in front of the Town Offices Building. This one has the blossoms that start pink and turn white, like a fellow blogger mentioned in a comment a few days ago.


My simple 3 ingredient salad...lettuce, tomato and a huge avocado. Dressed liberally with raspberry vinaigrette.

I used to start avocado trees all the time from the seeds. But I'm afraid they have been given some "anti-growth" chemicals so this is the first one I've tried in a long while. It's such a big seed, and not the Haas variety, so my fingers are crossed that it will sprout.

Five days later, moved to a warmer brighter spot. The flesh is quite damp feeling, but no roots yet. I keep peeling off the hard dry shell. Oh well, give it another week.


My kitchen window...and this is the view to the outside.


Today's quote:

One day work is hard, and another day it is easy; but if I had waited for inspiration I am afraid I should have done nothing. The miner does not sit at the top of the shaft waiting for the coal to come bubbling up to the surface. One must go deep down, and work out every vein carefully. -Arthur Sullivan, composer (1842-1900)

13 comments:

  1. The pink dogwood is beautiful. Your salad looks yummy. Good luck with your avocado tree. Take care, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I finally have some critters for your blog tomorrow!!

      Delete
  2. ...I like those colorful circles in the first image. How about a close up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing if the avocado starts to grow. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...it needs to hear your good wishes I think!

      Delete
  4. That dogwood is a lot pinker than the one we had that started pink and turned white. I haven't had any luck with avocado starts in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep looking at this seed pod, wondering if there's any life in there! I wonder how far north in the US dogwoods do bloom.

      Delete
  5. You make me miss the avocado tree we had in Florida-- it bore so heavily we gave away grocery bags filled with the fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son was in the Peace Corps in Jamaica, where they had an avocado tree right outside his window. He got tired of eating them! I don't have one every day, but I met a guy who does.

      Delete
  6. We are waiting for our avocado to spourt right now. It has been a week but we had others take a month. I need to practice my patience. :) Those colourful circles in the first photo made me think of hula hoops that I had when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, now it's your turm to show a photo of one of your avocados! I'm going to go by the Town Hall (where the offices are, it doesn't look very townhall-ish) and get another photo or two of that sculpture of the rings!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.