Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk June 12, 2024

Monday, May 13, 2024

Mother's Day 2024

Heard from my 3 sons, and 3 daughters in law, and one grandson. They all wished me happy Mother's Day. Long phone conversation with one son about his work.

Was I happy? I think so. I have a main sense of just total satisfaction at this time.

Gardening, listening to audio book (Outlander's latest one)...comfy clothes, great weather. No hoopla. I got a take out dinner broiled white fish, cold slaw, baked potato, hush puppies. My tapioca pudding desert had lots of pecans thrown on it. 






I worked on my potted plants for my porch garden. Saturday I got some little purple petunias, and a coleus, and some kind of purple leafed thing, "Persian Sheild." Oh and a new hefty lavender plant. I'm still nursing the one that is probably root bound. Maybe I'll have the energy to put it in a new pot with more soil. I've half a bag of potting soil left, and still 2 purple petunias and the Grosso lavender to plant.


It's 54 outside and partly cloudy. I hear some bird greeting the day, and a constant whir from cars on the two nearby highways. Rain my happen this evening. I'm living in my summer nest among the maple branches outside my second story window on the one side, and my front side of apartment now has pretty plants. Somehow I'm not drawn to bright flowers this year. The purples caught my eye and I went for it.

Today I'll go to the Senior lunch at Lake Tomahawk. I probably will walk down to the dam (1/4 mile) to see what's happening since I've been away. Then I'm meeting some friends who are doing their picnic lunches and walking at their paces. It's always ok for us to stop and rest on the benches along the way. I remember when I first started back, I could only make it to the first bench. Now I can get to the dam without stopping. Next when they open the walk over the dam, I'll try to do the whole half mile around! One of my younger friends can go all the way twice (or did before the dam construction started.)



Oh I almost forgot, there's the apple-mint plant also!


And I spent a little time in the studio yesterday also. Picked up these two new pots, the small one is degfinitely for an orchid to be repotted. I'm thinking larger for the Grosso Lavender. It will probably want to be big.



This is hanging over the balcony on the elevated side of the apartment. It may not get enough sun. We shall see.

Real life most often happens during the in-between times, when we are not celebrating a special occasion.



15 comments:

  1. ...I hope that you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Satisfying is what I go for...greatness can be for others.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice day, I like the plants and flowers you picked out.
    I would like to have a lavender plant, do they do well in pots?
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they want to be bigger...as one is root bound at this point. I've seen plants outside that are 3-4 feet tall. But actually the photos I've seen of lavender farms have them around 2 feet tall. Maybe my latest will be happy to be that big.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And I should have saved all the flower photos for various memes. But hey, some days you just post what's on your mind!

      Delete
  4. Glad your kids remembered you for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this post, Barb! It just oozes contentment. You saw most of your family last weekend, so phone calls were just right. I was glad mine came to see me, but I would have been happy with phone calls too, as I know how busy their lives are.
    Kudos to you for your walks! I do remember when you could just make it to the first bench.
    And your flowers, just beautiful. You sure have an eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year is purple and green! I like that combination somehow...but there's still last years geranium which will probably pop some red sooner or later. Yes, and tonight I'm coughing up a storm because the weather outside turned cool and damp, and I met friends at lunchtime, though had on my coat. I do hope it clears with the heat on tonight so I can go to phys therapy in the morning!

      Delete
  6. The colour, including the green, looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The purple and the chartreuse are such a striking combination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pots! I have a huge asparagus fern that needs to go outside. I have had this thing for about 10 years and I faithfully lug it inside every winter. It needs shade, so I think it will find a home on the deck that HeWho is so intent on building. I am thinking about a tall container to hold it, but not willing to spend a lot on it. I have a few ideas rumbling around in my head.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.