Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk June 12, 2024

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Some of the plants I see

 

This is the "landscaped three tier garden" at Lake Tomahawk now. I was wrong that they'd saved the lavender plant. At least the top tier still has some roses and a rather spindly rhododendron.




And one last bloom was ready for me to lovingly capture it where it was sheltered under a big tree by the lake's sidewalk.

My efforts last Sunday were to repot some orchids. But they were too long and gangly, so I cut each in half. We shall see if either half lives. And I ran out of orchid mix, and noticed at the bottom of the bag it had just regular dirt. So I threw in some potting soils as well.  One more to plant still, and I'll be darned if I buy another bag of that mix at $7 plus. I'll try the last one in the old soil after I clean it out a bit.



Yes, AC, I also was too late for this beautiful Rhododendron. Rained a couple of times before I got to it and this is all that's left!

But I turned a corner to see this lovely planting. Their peonies have shed many petals like the ones near my house.

---------------------------------

Sharing with Wordless Wednesday on Tuesday!



Today's quote:

I like to say that arms are not for killing. They are for hugging.

 -Betty Williams, peace activist, Nobel laureate (1943-2020)


11 comments:

  1. The rhododendrons are looking beautiful. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I've repotted two orchids and they are looking SAD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the three that are in soil look ok, but who knows whether they will have new growth. I need to rescue the one that's still in water. Not a happy camper. I cut off so many dead roots, it was amazing that 3 or 4 were still greenish and healthy. Hope your's survive and thrive!

      Delete
  3. Like me, you got some good pics even though you missed the one. It changes quickly now. Our tulips looked fine in the pic the I recently posted, but they are spent now -- most of them totally spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tulips have such a small window of looking good. I'm always amazed at the tulip festival in Ottawa.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for taking us into the garden. Orchids are tricky. I understand. We have a rather devoted orchid club in Honolulu, which seems to be mostly older folks lovingly cultivating these amazing flowers. Their periodic orchid shows are well attended Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, as I'm one of the older folks...but I sure don't lovingly tend them. I'm of the school of plant it, water it, leave it alone. Oh, and take a few photos if it looks pretty!

      Delete
  5. Ah, orchids! I have never been tempted to try them. But I am reading a Nero Wolfe mystery now, and apparently this fictitious detective had thousands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Rhododendron , I like the color !
    My contribution

    ReplyDelete
  7. My peony was magnificent until one of the rainstorms broke the stalks. I cut them all and brought them inside to enjoy. I planted this beside the front porch, but facing the ravine. I will probably move it to a more prominent location now that the blooms are gone. I like lots of color in my gardens. I like the tiered bed in your picture ...... now I am thinking about that ravine ......

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.