Black Mountain

From my Mud Buddies Pottery booth at the Tailgate Market, May 18, 2024

Monday, May 6, 2024

The BIG event

 Granddaughter Audrey graduated from Ohio State University Sunday. The hugest football stadium I’ve ever been in! 


Here all the grads march in four abreast, on both sides of the field, to fill all those empty bleachers. And you might note I’m sitting in the highest tier of the stadium!


Though rain had been forecast it was mostly cloudy till maybe the last hour when hot sun blessed us all with sunburns! (Except the kids in caps and gowns of course.)


My son and his wife were proud parents os their first born going through this life ritual. Here his youngest is sitting with him and other family members too! There were 7 of us sitting in the stands for a ceremony that was not entirely clear to us, though there was a program given to all of us who wanted it. The long procession of 12,000 or so students was orchestrated well, but of course took time. We counted at least 5 times listening to the whole of “Pomp and Circumstance.” The ceremony started at 12:00 sharp,  and we left before all the undergraduates picked up their diplomas. The only ones who got to cross the stage and have their name called out were doctoral candidates.  Honors were given to various people on the stage who we knew nothing about. Undergraduates got their diplomas last of course, but we started our departure about then.

Diplomas were stored in those red and grey tables with black covers on the majority of the field, (see first photo.) Apparently the deans of each college and assistants were going to hand each person in alphabetical order their diploma. We knew we wouldn’t be able to see Audrey.



The speaker was Chris Pan, with a rather up beat and youthful message, including his demonstration with the University President of bit-coin which was boo-ed by students…and some deep breathing, 1, 2, 3, 4,  hold 1, 2 3, 4…and even some dancing. He offered little  simple bracelets free to all students by contacting his own email. My sons said it was just a gimmick to get more  customers for his own business. 



Incidentally those were the only empty seats (the student section) in the stadium…since everywhere else was family and friends or grads.


Some family friends were sitting close enough to get this photo of Audrey as she walked in waving. 

My selfie with Russ.

Another proud mother moment with son Marty!

Kate is closest, then her mom, Michelle, then Michelle’s mom Joanne, and Joanne’s husband, Gerry in the white hat.

After our 3 hours sitting, stretching and sitting, we ventured back down. Marty and I went looking for the elevators but the line was incredibly long. So I slowly descended 8 stories of stairs. I was so grateful for railings on all the stairs throughout. Somehow there were no ramps at that particular area. Then walk to parking lot.

But our adult children helped Joanne and myself to obtain rides on little bicycle driven rickshaws both ways, at least some of the half mile or more to the parking lot. Did I mention it was hot and sunny by then!

We heard from my son’s middle daughter who had been protesting at George Washington University (in DC) in hopes of a ceasefire in Gaza and to divest to investments in Israel- that she was in her dorm studying for finals.

No interruptions during our event, though the University of Michigan had a short demonstration during its commencement event the day before.

After we got to our next destination we were treated to Cinco de Mayo goodies…more to follow!

Today’s quote:


Protesting is an act of love. It is born of a deeply held conviction that the world can be a better, kinder place. Saying "no" to injustice is the ultimate declaration of hope. -Amy Goodman, investigative journalist, columnist, and author (b. 13 Apr 1957)




15 comments:

  1. ...you can tell how with it I am, I needed to search Chris Pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know who he was till the announcer gave some details

      Delete
  2. Too bad they all couldn't walk the stage, but that was such a big event. My graduation was not like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in a big university but graduated in aug

      Delete
  3. Is this the stadium where a person fell to their death? That is always a story to tell! I LOVE your selfie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but though the students all got texts about it, no mention was made from the stage. We found out at the party later, that they thought it might have been suicide! While waiting for event to start, a man was put on a stretcher behind us, at the top of the stadium, and a rope was used to slowly let the stretcher down the steep stairs, with EMT's holding it. The jumper apparently had fallen from section 30 and we were next to it in 28. Audrey knew some of the people who had been near to where the body landed.

      Delete
  4. What a huge graduation. Both daughters graduated from Dartmouth with at least 1000 in their classes but all the names were read and everyone got to walk across the stage. Both graduations, one in '03 and the other in '08 we rain free. Lucky you had no rain, but I imagine it got really warm up there. COngratulations to the graduate. What degree did she get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought a BA in Early Childhood Education, but will have to check the program, because the listings mainly were for BS's. That was her major anyway.

      Delete
  5. What an enormous graduating class! Hard to imagine. Good for you to get through it all, including 8 stories of steps and a half mile walk! I told my family that I was done with graduations. They are just too long, too boring, and too crowded for me anymore. But I sure enjoyed your post, and all the happy family pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that...another one in 2 years! But George Washington U is smaller! EVERYTHING is smaller! You sure made a right decision. Hug them and gift them before or after...those 21 and 22 year olds can handle the ceremonies!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing one of life's wonderful days with us. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cloudia..Aloha to you too! I love the sun, and came home with a bit of a burn on cheeks and back.

      Delete
  7. Congrats to your granddaughter! Great photos of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. It was certainly an event to remember!

      Delete
  8. I like your hat! My granddaughter started her college career at Ohio State, but that was in 2019, so she went home for Covid and then decided that the university of MN would do fine to complete her education. She recently graduated with distinction (whatever that means). My daughter (her mom) is not speaking to me for the last several years, so I get most of my news from my youngest daughter about her. I was not invited to any of the festivities associated with her graduation. I have no idea hta degree she earned or what job she has. Her mom doesn't want to have anything tto do with us, and Layla is not going to either. Makes me quite sad, but nothing can be done that will pacify my daughter.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.