Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk June 12, 2024

Friday, May 31, 2024

I love living in North Carolina

 Today I feel like sharing a bit of history, and look at how it's right under our noses here in the mountains of western North Carolina.


Skyline Inn, Little Switzerland, NC, 1948 Built by John Greer and his wife Ada. (info from Michael
 Thrift)


Skyline Inn, Little Switzerland NC, 2017

(Yes a repost...) Hwy 221 North in front of the John English Farm in North Cove, North Carolina. near Linville Caverns or Linvill Falls, 1930 and 2022



Squire John Stepp’s Stage Coach Inn (probably posted before)
The Inn was originally built as a stagecoach stop by John Stepp around 1830 and was renovated and expanded in 1940. At its peak, the Inn had would host as many as 16-20 people for breakfast that were staying in the eight available rooms.

The Black Mountain Inn today (formerly Stepp's Inn) located on Old US 70 about 4 blocks from my home on Blue Ridge Rd.

At the turn of the 20th century it operated for several years as the Franklin Humanitarian Home (a TB sanatorium).

Notably, in 1940, as the famed Black Mountain College approached its zenith, the property was purchased by Mary Aleshire and Daisey Erb. Mrs. Aleshire was the manager of the Norton Art Gallery in Palm Beach, Florida. She artfully restored and updated the historic property. In 1942, the house was opened as the Oak Knoll Art Studio, which served primarily as a summer artist's retreat for Mrs. Aleshire and her many famous guest; Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Norman Rockwell, Helen Keller, Anne Sullivan and Joan Sutherland among them.

In 1965, wishing to preserve the house, and prevent commercial development the Aleshires sold the house to their caretaker Jim Reid.

The house was purchased again in 1989 and lovingly restored by its current owners, who transformed it into the Black Mountain Inn.



1954- Penland Post Office and General Store. On the banks of North Toe River and the railroad line to Spruce Pine NC. 

Penland School of Crafts has long been teaching crafts of the mountains as well as more modern media such as glass blowing. The workshops and series of classes are attended by adults from all over the world these days. Everything from woodworking, textile arts, metal work with blacksmithing or jewelry making to wood fired pottery classes are very popular.

The "Weaving Shed."


Making Iron Tools with Anna Koplik and studio assistant Sean Fitzsimmons, By Penland on May 21, 2024 01:27 pm



Patton Ave, Asheville NC 1898

This is now a great place to find enjoyable entertainment at various bars and taverns and enjoy a good meal at a variety of restaurants, as well as shop at a wide variety of stores.

33-Patton-Ave-Asheville-NC today

Patton Ave. Asheville today

Sharing a bit of history on Sepia Saturday today.






Today's quote:

Thoreau said: " "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."


15 comments:

  1. It is interesting seeing the before and after photos, I would like to visit Little Switzerland. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Switzerland is well situated to go other mountain places...like the Altapass Apple Orchard, and Spruce Pine, and the Mineral Museum, and a few shops...but it isn't really a great destination in itself, unless you are a golfer I guess.

      Delete
  2. ...I love North Carolina, but not its politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that. I hang my head when various GOP candidates ask for my support...and send them STOP very firmly so maybe I'll get taken off their list. No idea why I'm ever called.

      Delete
  3. I doubt I shall ever visit. Thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome for a bit of tour, but it is the thing that takes my breath away almost daily, seeing a mountain right in front of me, which obscures half the sky. I then think of highways and driveways so people are living up behind the forest on these steep slopes. Glad I'm in a bit of valley.

      Delete
  4. And a lovely sharing of history it is! When my daughter was visiting friends in Etowah they showed her all around & she was very impressed with Black Mountain even though we live in the foothills of the Sierras here in Calif. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had friends who lived in Etowah (a very small place) that invited me for a visit and I fell in love with the area, and the next year moved up here. I know the Sierras also are beautiful but haven't seen them in person. The thing about mountains (for me) is the vista. I love looking out for miles and miles around and seeing the humps of mountains, and maybe some roads.

      Delete
  5. I would love where you live- Looks just right and I do agree with Tom- the politics would make my life shorter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little enclave around here of more open minded liberal thinking people...the Asheville area votes Blue. But we've been gerrymandered out of any power by the Reds in the legislature. Fortunately we've had a Blue governor for the last 4 years, but he's not running again. We hope to at least keep a Blue governor, but the next state election is pretty well rigged by the Reds.

      Delete
  6. I love seeing the historic buildings and imagining life in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out to be a potentially expensive post because I now want to go to Penland and learn a dozen crafts.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...and I want to see the Skyline Hotel and Black Mountain Inn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting. I agree that the mountains of North Carolina are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love comparing photos of then and now, especially of places I know well. My impression is that the forests in Western North Carolina were very diminished and its heartening to see that the mountain tree lines are taller and higher now. (But saddening to see the loss of hemlocks, pines, and ash trees :—(
    I also note that even since I moved to WNC 20+ years ago that the roads are much improved than they were back in the olden days. (But having to live with more traffic and interstate construction is no fun :—{

    And as for NC politics, we must take hope that our state government at least isn't as wacky and stupid as in South Carolina or Tennessee. :—))

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.