Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, May 4, 2023

And the wind blew

 For days we've endured both steady winds, and gusts that are crazy...here in Black Mountain NC. So on Wed. a tall tree fell from these winds...on the parking lot at church.

My friend who drives by it on her way home from work told me. I was sure other members of the church (Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Swannanoa Valley) knew about it, and there wasn't anything I could do.

Until Thurs. morning when I was out and about, after my lab work for my yearly physical...and after getting my coffee! I had to have the blood drawn on a fasting condition, so hadn't had my morning cuppa yet.

Picked up coffee and a scone, and drove to the church.

And there were all kinds of people with chain saws attacting that big old tree...which had very little roots. No wonder it fell.


There's the church in the background...a good thing this tree was courteous to fall in the parking lot!


There were quite a crew of our building and grounds committee out there. I just took photos and left, not being able to do anything helpful.


Neatly stacked and organized wood...some of these people knew how to sort and prepare wood for other uses.

It had been quite a tall tree. 


This was about 9:45am  Thur. May 4


This guy had the correct equipment for tree removal. We have one member of the congregation who works with trees all the time, but I couldn't see his face, so am not sure who this young man was.


I hope all the other trees that are down haven't caused much damage either. Some phones and electric lines have been cut unfortunately. We all depend upon those wires up there these days.

Today's quote:
 "I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." Jerome K. Jerome


10 comments:

  1. Hello,
    It has been windy here too. Two mornings in a row I could hear chainsaws, cutting the downed trees. The electric wires are very important, I hope all stays well. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know what's happening in your neck of the woods.

      Delete
  2. ...tree companies are busy here due to our strong spring winds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it! I hadn't realized winds could just go on and on without any rain or anything.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That sure worked out well...one direction would have hit the street, the other the church...it was very fortuitous.

      Delete
  4. Glad that there were no people hurt and no cars damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly a very polite tree! How nice to see people working together like that. We had a tree down along Joe's Run, but it was cut and moved long before we knew about it. Good neighbors here.
    I hope there wasn't too much damage, Barb. No fun for people to lose their electricity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only heard about one phone service that had been cut. Maybe not too much damage from tree and limb falls.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.