Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, May 21, 2023

Proof of life and its changes

 Remember that I stuck an avocado seed in water several weeks ago? I'm calling it Number One...since I have a second bulb started, and bought a new avocado this week. They are soooo good.


Mon. May 15: There are new roots!! No sprout yet. But I am thrilled. So I have another one started. These are the huge Florida avocados (that's what my grocery store calls them.) I get several salads out of each one. So in gratitude, I'm wanting some little trees. Not expecting myself to live long enough to have avocados though!! Perhaps one of my neighbors or frriends will keep them going.

May 15.

This one had already sent out a root while in the avocado...maybe that will help it.

But wait. You've been waiting since last Monday anyway...look what they looked like by Thursday (last week May 18)

Number 1 has green showing and is splitting the seed bulb! And Number 2 in the background is also showing signs of something coming up on its top.


May 15: And then there was that organic garlic bulb, which I left out in my bowl with the tomatoes two days. The second day I noticed the green shoots, and opened out all the segments...and put them in a shallow dish of water. They're rooting and growing fast. I need to get some new dirt and plant them soon! I think I'll like having garlic chives...not to mention a whole lot of new bulbs!

By Tues. May 16. they had been transplanted into a sterilized pot and new soil. I took a photo of them when I did that, but am still having trouble getting photos to download. It's as if my computer refuses to recognize iCloud at all now. 

This is what they looked like on Thurs. May 18. I moved them away from where they'd get heavy rain. I don't want them to rot.



Finally all the blooms on this orchid dried and fell. But one bud had never opened. I just let it alone on the bare stalk for 2 days, then this happened.



To give you an idea what an orphan bloom this is. It still knew which way to get light on its face!


Today's quote:

Who is content with nothing possesses all things. 

-Nicolas Boileau-Despreaux, poet (1636-1711)



11 comments:

  1. ...I remember starting avocados years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy for the orchid, and thou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do have quite a green thumb, Barbara. I've never had much luck getting an avocado seed to send out roots. And our orchid is still languishing. I won't give up until it does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that growth.. lovely! Avocados get big though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are tempting me to start a sweet potato vine . . . I had a giant one when I was a freshman in college and then my hamster ate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have grown one once. All the sweet potatoes in stores seem to not have eyes, like lots of white ones. How do you find a start? Well, I'll guess, go for organic ones.

      Delete
  6. I grew a big avocado tree once from a seed! It was a project I tried with my children when thye were young and thye were amazed to see it grow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat to have done it with your children! If only I had stayed in on place in Florida, we might have been eating our own avocados by now. But this green thumbed lady also is an adventurer, so lots of miles since then to this hope for sprouts.

      Delete
  7. I love everything about this post. My mother used to grow avocado trees too. I can't recall what she did with them but I remember those seeds in water, on the windowsill with her African violets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our avocado has shown its roots, it has been about five weeks.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.