Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, May 5, 2023

Hats, hats and more hats!

 And the jokes on me...my eyes still don't have correction lenses after the cataracts were removed. So I can't read the small print. Next week's post at Sepia Satuday is the one for hats...this week was something else! But I will have the chance to meet this week's one next week.

1948 - Here are my father (on right), and uncle Chauncey on left (top two photos). They had grown up in their early childhood in Galveston TX. I'm the bigger girl in a sun bonnet, and my little sister has one as well. She was pretty terrified of the Gulf of Mexico on this our first trip to see it. She called it the soapy water. 
The bottom two photos show my grnadmother in two poses to let you see her hat all the better. We called her Gummy, but her real name was Ada Phillips Swasey Rogers. And she was wearing black gloves to match her hat. I dare say also to keep her hands and arms from sunburn.

My mother in her wedding outfit, with a glamorous kind of hat over her marcelled hair. 1936


My oldest son spent some time in the Navy. His father had been in the Coast Guard.


Many years later he also has been known to take part in various festivities. I wonder what this one was...

It may not be a hat, but a veil...and this is one of my favorite photos from my middle son's wedding. 

A nice warm hat on another daughter-in-law.


And here she is paddle boarding in a sun hat.

A couple of friends at the Lakeview Center lunch site.



My dear friend Rosemary and her husband George. I do miss chatting in emails with her daily. It's now more psychic chats. We were friends in highschool, and reconnected in 2000 by emails until breast cancer finally got her.


And one year friends got me into the sombrero at Ole Guacamole's for my birthday.

Sharing with Sepia Saturday. I had a lot of fun with this meme! Check out what other blogs have posted.

Happy Cinco de Mayo (not a Mexican holiday, but American!) Our local Mexican restaurant has lots of specials. And our various Hispanic citizens (many laborers in various trades) will come enjoy it. And so will I with friends to celebrate a friend's birthday!

Todya's quote:

The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure.

JOSEPH CAMPBELL






30 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Love the family photos and all the hats. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. OK. Do you not wear one occasionally? Well, perhaps you've just not taken selfies during winter months!

      Delete
  3. I admire folks who can carry off a fancy hat with panache--the Royal Family and the late Queen were so good at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still milliners in England at least...and perhaps a few big cities in America. I remember a whole floor in a department store for hats. But you're right, wearing it just right is a skill!

      Delete
  4. Just think...until the 1940s, being hatless...whatever your age..was rare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good thing to consider. And there were also very few hair products out there, except Brylcream for the guys.

      Delete
  5. I wear a hat when I hike and garden and also in winter to stay warmer. Enjoy your special meal with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should definitely get more summer hats to keep the sun off my skin!

      Delete
  6. I love all your family hat photos. I don't think I ever saw my parents or other family members wearing a hat. What a great collection you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was surprising, and here's my life from about 5 years old to maybe 75.

      Delete
  7. When i was young, my mother would wear hats to church. Maybe it as party fashion, but I suspect it had more to do with a woman keeping her head covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All women would wear hats and gloves to church up to the 60s. So I learned that, and had practiced it many a Sunday...no matter what denomination of church.

      Delete
  8. My dad had early baldness, so a hat was really for comfort, as well as a bit of vanity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember those sun bonnets! Such fun at the beach. And your posts evoked nostalgia for the days when grandmothers dressed up with hat and gloves to go to the shore. My grandmother was one of those :-) Also, love the sombrero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly. I know that sombrero has been worn by many people, thus I no longer will let them put it on my head. It's way too decorative to have been sterilized between birthdays! Oh weren't trips to the shore fun with grandmother dressed up, and sun bonnets on children!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on now being a week ahead of schedule! Nice collection of hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well...I did already write a correct post for this theme. So who knows whether I'm ahead or behind! I won't get new prescription lenses for at least another month when my eyes may settle into their abilities (or disabilities as it were.)

      Delete
  11. I can see why you enjoyed putting together this theme. Your last hat for Cinco de Mayo made me laugh. Let's hope spring warms up this week.so we can finally switch from stocking caps to sombreros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was close to 80 today, I believe. I find allergies to the pollen keeps me from opening my windows to the nice fresh air. Yet when I'm outside, I do enjoy it!

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - didn't mean to delete this. Sorry 'bout that.

      Delete
  13. I was wearing hats and gloves to church & other fancy doings well into the '60s! I got back into hat-wearing when I joined the Red Hatters and made up my own hats - most of them rather wild. Red Hatters was no place for sedate hats! For a while I joined a group of friends calling ourselves "Ladies Who Lunch". We dressed up and wore big beautiful hats which I also made - meaning I'd take a basic 'straw' hat in whatever color and add flowers & ribbon & lace & feathers, etc. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I was a proper young woman, at least until I got married and probably left hats and gloves behind. Then like you I enjoyed the Red Hatters...but I think there aren't any of them left around. It sure is fun to decorate a straw hat with silk flowers and ribbons.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Oh that's great. Keep on showing off some pretty chapeaus...probably spelled wrong.

      Delete
  15. I remember those sun bonnets. And let's hear it for the days when grandmothers went all dressed up to the beach. My grandmother was one of those! These are some great hats -- and I love the photo of you in the sombrero :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of different hats over time. I have never known anyone to wear gloves at the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful collection of varied hats. I remember the days of department stores with a hat section where yu could try them on, and my mother once went on a millinery course, making her own. As a child I wore bonnets to match my coats, made by my mother, then sunhats, and as a teenager I did like my straw boater hat with streamers which I wore for a church - and there ended my "hat" days, apart from a big furry hat in winter (after seeing the film Doctor Zhivago) and sunhats when on hoiday in more warmer climes than Scotland.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.