Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, May 26, 2023

The newly potted

I spent all day Sunday (well starting at 3:30) repotting all the new plants, and one almsot new. It had been direct afternoon sun on my little porch up till 3:30. Somehow our earth has got these shadows switched over to summer already.

Only one pot didn't end up being vinegar treated, so we'll hope the fungus doesn't survive with new dirt.
I will be watching her!


I  was glad to get this free from Earth Day orchid out of it's pot and dirt which had lots of mildew on it. I must have given it too much water. Anyway, I'll try to remember, even though it doesn't look like an orchid, it needs to be treated like one. My other two are aching for new pots, but since they want room to put out all those air-roots (my name for them) I can't figure out what will work. Perhaps just cutting off all the dead ones, and repotting with new bark where they are...just thinking.

I fell in love with this begonia. It's a tiny plant and already blooming!

It certainly has the right name "Nonstop Joy"

A simply pair of peppermints. And are those aphids on it? I looked as well as I could with these non-prescription eyes. Maybe not. Only one leaf looks to have been chewed by a caterpiller. 

Sorry the phone wasn't pointed quite right for the basil plant. There are 3 intwined plants and I didn't notice they are just too close to pull apart. Shucks.



A bit better on the basil.

A nice little lavender, and I put a little ceramic head in with her, to watch over the garden perhaps.


I'll wait a few days until this nice coleus has settled before clipping off some and rooting it for more plants. Since it's hanging, I don't want it to get much taller, but it needs to fill out to the sides. Cutting off the highest point (pruning perhaps) will cause the side shoots to have more energy.

I would probably like Bonzai, execpt it's too disciplined for me, not to mention the cost of all the tools!!

All of these plants came from different nurseries at the Black Mountain Annual plant sale. So the 2 herbs are from one nursery, and the begonia and tiny lavender are both from another one, and the coleus is from yet another.

Today's quote:
 
We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams. -Jeremy Irons, actor (b.1948)



12 comments:

  1. I hope all is well with your new plants, they look pretty. I like the name nonstop joy! Take care, enjoy your day! Happy Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonstop Joy should be a band's name. Or a blog. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. ..."Nonstop Joy" is a fabulous name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I should start a new blog with that name...though it may already be taken.

      Delete
  3. I envy your green fingers. Someone has just given me a lettuce in a pot and I'm sure to kill it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, then just pick the leaves that you have, and throw them in a salad!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing your new plants. I had forgotten about planting basil this spring. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just pulled one of the little three closely sprouted basils...and have it in water for now...no dirt clung to it's roots, but they're all there. So now maybe the other two will be stronger. I'm not enough of a green thumber to take another one off so there's just one left. They do root in water, but I didn't have much luck last year. Anyway, I love their scent, and seldom cook with them.

      Delete
  5. Your pots are as attractive as your plants, Barb! Here's to your green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope that fungus is gone...or I'll just throw in the towel. I can arrange silk flowers all over the house!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yep, I sure did. I have a couple more that aren't out there, and may just let them sit around until I find something else that wants to live here!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.