Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Before they're all gone

 Here are some more of the lights of the season...this time from Brandon FL, where my son and grandson live.

Little lanterns on the wall at the entrance to my son's home.

His outside decoration consisted of blue lights.

Blow-up decorations are all the thing these days. Next door had a santa hula-hooping, as well as a little plane with a propeller than went spinning around. Santa looks a bit drunk on that evening, but was back spinning his hoop the next night. And yes, there's Micki and Minnie Mouse.


We looked up to see the full moon, and Jupiter is to it's lower right, but the blue ball further down is a camera gift.

A tipsy looking lightpost perhaps?

This is the kind of snowmen that will appear in FL. And some deer too!

Some reindeer and santa in his sleigh. And looking closer at the figures under the tree...

We saw the Christmas Llama. Not sure what the green thing is, but it looks tipped over.

Lots of yard Christmas Art here.

Getting closer it was bright and cheerful, but I'm not sure what much of it was.

This is what my son's little lanterns look like in the daytime.

I'm home dealing with outside temperatures that didn't get out of the 30s yesterday, and in the 20s at night. Sigh. Those warm (jacket perferred) nights strolling to see lights in Brandon are now just a memory. But I do still have the rest of the places we went, to share with you! I also need to get to the laundry...since I've been home a week and then some. But I did spend a few days recuperating from the stress of driving. I guess I'm over it because I was able to stand up in church on Sunday and give people instructions on which hymns to sing next, and even dance the 123-123 waltz with Byron Ballard, our guest speaker.

Today I went to the lunch program at the Senior Center at Lake Tomahawk, and took my own silverware, napkin and cup, so didn't use any of the single-use plastic and paper products. Told the folks why too. One guy mentioned that as a Catholic he'd eaten fish every Friday growing up, (as we were eating fish today), but it wasn't required any more. So I said some people who want to limit climate changes are doing "meatless Monday." That way less beef is producing methane, which is the main source of methane in the world today. See why I have a vegan friend?

Today's quote:

To be alive in this beautiful, self-organizing universe — to participate in the dance of life with senses to perceive it, lungs that breathe it, organs that draw nourishment from it — is a wonder beyond words.

JOANNA MACY



12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I love all the pretty Christmas lights and decorations. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a good feeling to have your comments early in the morning here!

      Delete
  2. ...I love the Christmas lights, but I wouldn't like to pay the electric bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing Christmas lights in warmer climes is interesting. A Flickr friend in Spain has produced incredible photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them, though they were just journal fotos, not to keep.

      Delete
  4. Love seeing your Christmas photos. There is one house on our block here that still has Christmas lights up. I gave up eating meat and fish more than 50 years ago. Then I felt okay about having tuna or salmon once a week a couple of years ago. Still no red meat ever. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good brain food...those nice oily fishies from the deep blue sea.

      Delete
  5. Holiday lights help to make the dark days seem brighter. I’d like to spend some time in a warmer climate at this time of year. I don’t know if I could drive far enough to get there without being in pain for a couple days though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was whisked off my feet the next day for 6 hours or so in a museum. But actually when I arrived at my sons house I napped for a couple of hours. Needed that! Hey, I'm looking to have a partner to drive with me long distance drives, to split the driving...just saying!

      Delete
  6. Live all the lights. I am so happy to see people leaving their lights up longer this year. Usually they are almost all gone the day after Christmas.
    I admire your commitment to using less. We try to do the same, buying used, using cloth napkins and very rarely any paper plates, etc. Haven't bought beef in years, honestly. These are all just small bits, every bit helps.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.