Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Smoke and

Mirrors? 

Slept through, though sirens did wake me a bit, early morning fire behind a nearby motel...Tues. morning around 8 am. There were some long-term units right behind the motel.


A distant shot across the town of Black Mountain picked up the smoke from the fire as the sun rises across the face of the mountains. I live somewhere behind the plume of smoke.

Drove by after lunch, and there was a puddle of water on the parking lot...all that was left to see from this big smoke. 

I heard from FB that engines came from Swannanoa (next community west on US 70) as well as both Black Mountain stations. I'm glad there didn't seem to be any structural damage. The end of that building (in the back) has a double garage door. There's a big dumpster right about where the fire looks like it happened. Maybe they're taking whatever burned and putting it in the dumpster. Anyway, it looks like there wasn't much happening.

Lunch today I skipped eating the Sweedish meatballs, had just the sticky brown rice, mushy chopped  broccoli, a dinner roll with butter, and the canned peaches. I came home and ate some Havarti cheese and crackers to get my protein for that meal!

No further errands or exercise today. Got winded easily so slowed to the turtle crawl which lets me at least get where I'm going without being out of breath.

Stopped in the library and picked up "Killers of the Flower Moon." Some cheerful reading to look forward to. But my friend said the book was much better than the movie.

 Today's quote:

To this day I believe we are here on Earth to live, grow, and do what we can to make this world a better place for all people to enjoy freedom.

ROSA PARKS

11 comments:

  1. There is a lot of smoke from that fire! I Like the Rosa Parks quote! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And today as I drove by I saw one unit did have a burned roof and was boarded up! So it was in a motel unit after all!

      Delete
  2. ...fires are awful, winter fires can be tragic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A motel would be really scary, just as our apartments are. Fortunately we at least have smoke detectors.

      Delete
  3. Didn't see the movie but the book is very good - depressing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll have something else beside it to rely upon for uplifting feelings.

      Delete
  4. Hold on here. Alarms did not awake you -- at 8am? Oh to be you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we have midnight trains, as well as a sort of nearby fire station. It turns onto the highway at the foot of our hill, so we hear it on the way out for any fires in the area. Does that make me immune to them? I guess so.

      Delete
  5. An excellent book and a damning look at White treatment of Native Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fires are scary. Our home caught fire one year when the children were younger. I woke and saw the smoke. It was our fireplace, no doubt built without a permit before we bought the house. It was a Saturday night in December and the firemen carefully moved our Christmas tree and all the gifts under it before using any water. I was disappointed that my husband had unlocked the front door before we all went out the back door and sat in the car. I wanted a new door and was thinking they would use axes to open it! Not one of our neighbors offered shelter to my family! I had a pound cake for church the next morning in the cake taker, so when the firemen were done, I made coffee and fed them cake. I was the only one in need of medical care and all I needed was a nebulizer. I took myself to the ER I worked at after the firemen left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't be reading that, or seeing the movie. Just not enough time left for me to read things that will make me sad and angry. But I have heard good things about both. Take good care of yourself, Barb.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.