Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

New to me restaurant

 Well, here I was last Saturday, meeting friends at the Loott House in Swannanoa. It's in the same building and set-up as Native Kitchen was, which died with Covid or there-abouts. The old restaurant had good reviews and loyal customers, but the food is much the same in this new-edition. (I heard the same chef is in charge in the new restaurant.) The building has been painted black, now visible from Hwy 70, a two story black block all by itself. 

There's this strange wall hanging, which would probably be fun for young sticky fingered kids to tear apart, but I liked the tactile quality of it. Soft stuff, besides the plastic ferns.




We had a nice lounge room to ourselves ( probably because not heated)...but as we left we saw the high tops and bar were all busy with hungry people. 

Simple menu, but each serving was prepared with eye pleasing piles of food.


My Falafel Burger was delicious, though I deconstructed it to eat it with fork. Sweet potato waffle fries were good, but of course got cold by the time I finished them (and being an avid fan of them, I ate them cold anyway!) My friends got the crispy chicken sandwich which she didn't rave about (perhaps because she skipped the sauce), and another friend had the Loott Salad with added chicken...it looked really good and she ate every bite.

All in all, getting there early (11:30) on Saturday was a good thing, and we wouldn't have minded others in our area, but we sure could hear kids in the next dining room...they were having a lot of fun!

I hope if you're ever in the area you might want a lunch there. I'll definitely be back.


Today's quote:

Like a tree, our growth depends upon our ability to soften, loosen, and shed defenses we no longer need.


11 comments:

  1. It is nice to try a new restaurant, I am sure they appreciate the business. The food sounds good. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have trouble thinking of a hamburger costing $15. I hope it goes into salaries of staff. There's only 2 baristas, and those in the kitchen, no wait staff. You get your own order, bus it yourself.

      Delete
  2. It's good to get out. With us it is usually breakfast or just coffee outings and not many of either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not got any pals to do breakfast with. But once a week a lunch, and with different friends, does seem a great social opportunity for me. Yes indeed, coffee out too!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't know what school of design would have come up with this! Maybe meant to be such that today's young people would like it. So ha ha, us oldies enjoyed having that dining room to ourselves, though we put our coats back on before we were finished. We do like to sit and talk a while after eating...so that was great in that room. In the crowded bar room, we couldn't have heard each other very well.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good choice. We ate out yesterday after a museum visit but were disappointed in the service - slow to take our order and slow to bring out the salads we'd ordered - and disappointed in the salads. Mine was mostly lettuce tossed in a bland dressing with sprinkled crunchies on top. I should have sent it back but didn't think of that until later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a disappointment for that salad! I think about all I have that I can pile into a salad...nuts, berries, dates, and the regular veggies. Now have oranges begging to be eaten. Romaine all the way for me.

      Delete
  5. Some of the menu sounds very interesting. Not a burger person, but the rice bowls and salads look good. I still cringe at the price of eating out. It has gotten so expensive! Even a cup of coffee at a local family style restaurant is over $3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making me hungry now!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.