Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Words on Wednesday and Signs2

 Made it through a wet Tuesday, did sort most of my photos into files, staying inside, and didn't lose elec.




From a wonderful movie "The Help" 

Serious construction stopping device...all automated!

When I stopped for gas and a break from driving here, I laughed. I remembered I'd named my car when I got it the "Blue Ridge Roadrunner." It's been running just fine.

The following came from a Facebook post...pretty good info I think.


"Why should we pay cash everywhere we can
with banknotes instead of a credit card? 💳
- I have a $50 banknote in my pocket.
Going to a restaurant and paying for dinner with it. The restaurant owner then uses the bill to pay for the laundry. The laundry owner then uses the bill to pay the barber. The barber will then use the bill for shopping.
After an unlimited number of payments, it will still remain a $50, which has fulfilled its purpose to everyone who used it for payment and the bank has jumped dry from every cash payment transaction made...
- But if I come to a restaurant and pay digitally - Card, and bank fees for my payment transaction charged to the seller are 3%, so around $1.50 and so will the fee $1.50 for each further payment transaction or owner re laundry or payments of the owner of the laundry shop, or payments of the barber etc.....
Therefore, after 30 transactions, the initial $50 will remain only $5 😫 and the remaining $45 became the property of the bank 🏦 thanks to all digital transactions and fees.
Small businesses need your help and this is one way to help ourselves too. Pull small draws of cash out at a time and use that instead of tap, credit, etc.
When this is put into perspective, imagine what each retailer is paying on a monthly basis in fees at 3% per transaction through their POS machine.
If they have, for example, $50,000 in sales & 90% are by Card, they are paying $1500 in fees in ONE Month. $18,000 in a year! That comes out of their income every month.

That would go a long way to help provide for their family."

That last article is being shared on my other blog today as well...in case you think you're seeing things double!

Sharing with Signs2 over at Tom the Backroads Traveler


11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the pics - especially the one with the girls spelling love, and the words that went with them, and your story about the $50 note certainly is so true! I think I will start using cash more. Enjoy your week, wishing you well for 2024, and thankyour for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping to comment. Glad you liked the photos and the message about helping small businesses with cash payments!

      Delete
  2. Love the images! Life is a journey, enjoy the trip! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't see a construction stopping device like that. It's always two people except I have seen temporary traffic lights when our highway is reduced to a single lane for construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely something I couldn't argue with! Stopped longer than expected though.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Tom, and thanks for hosting Signs2 today!

      Delete
  5. Good post, Barb! I had seen that post about the $50 last year and asked my banker son about whether that was actually true. He agreed that it was. Of course, some of those fees pay the salaries of workers at the card companies, which is okay with me. But I suspect a lot of it just enriches those big companies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the confirmation. I hesitate often to repost from Facebook because of the many bots that appear there. I had to take back my credit card at lunch today, and pull out real greenbacks to pay...need to break that habit!

      Delete
  6. Neat pictures. Even the smallest businesses are taking credit cards because it increases their business so they make more money, not less. I do think it’s a good idea to tip in cash so that the person gets their money right away.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.