Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Some background on the dam at Lake Tomahawk

The Lake Tomahawk dam as of 1936.


But let's look at more recent history (according to Barbara) of the Lake Tomahawk dam.

 This is how the dam looked when I moved here in 2007. Posted in 2013. I was pleased that the trees' roots helped stabilize the earthen dam.

This plaque was on the dam at that time, showing it had been there since 1933-34. Just 80 years before I took these photos in August, 2013.



The valve controlling release of water through big culvert pipes under the dam...and now that I think about it, perhaps the tree roots might have been interfering with them.



By the following winter, you could see a good crop of mistletoe in the branches of these old trees.

In 2015 the trees were cut down on the dam


Drained the lake in March 2015



Earth movers, and vibrating machines to tamp down the soil into the holes left by the roots.

Man in center with his back to us was using vibrating machine to fill in hole left by tree roots.

New walkway on dam, and permanent bench, as this photo shows in 2018 (to present.)

But there will be yet some new changes coming soon. I'll try to capture them. When it's below freezing it's a bit hard to get me out and about!!

Today's quote:

Don’t plan it all. Let life surprise you a little.

JULIA ALVAREZ






7 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I guess they need to maintain the dam. It is kind of sad to see the lake drained. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are supposedly less tourists visiting in January. But with the traffic we have these days, I wonder about that.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. But is a focal point of the town. I guess they couldn't use it for their slogan, and went with rocking chairs and "the little town that rocks." Yes, I would hope that the do some dredging also.

      Delete
  3. Seems like a lot of work in a short time. I hope the trouble will be worth it in the end. Seems a shame they had to cut the trees, but I am sure you are right about the roots.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.