Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, January 7, 2024

Lake Tomahawk being drained

 There was ice on the edges of the lake on Friday at noon when I took this header photo.



I noticed a couple of days ago that it was going down, but this looks like a big drain. It has happened before for construction.

And when I asked Melania, the Recreation Admin. if she knew why, she said it was for construction on the dam. I had seen a note in one of the Black Mountain Facebook pages that several thousand dollars were allocated to improve the dam. Pretty early to do so, but also, not many people around to go fishing when it's below freezing.

So whenever it's warm enough for a walk around, it will be less interesting in reflections of the sky and tree limbs, but more interesting to see what has settled into the muddy bottom.






10 comments:

  1. Pretty views of the lake. I hope the construction does not take too long. Great quote! Take care , have a great day and a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Eileen...I hope so too, that construction is done well and quickly.

      Delete
  2. ...there are a number of dams in the Adirondacks that failed last summer. Maintenance had been delayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I didn't know that. So sad to think how much damage can happen when an earth dam fails.

      Delete
  3. The ice is proceeding apace here now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love seeing your photos of the lake there. It'll be interesting to see how it looks there after construction. I love the quote. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very interesting! Good dams are important. Thank you for the meditation thought. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it has to happen from time to time. Our little watershed lake has not been drained since it was completed in 1976. I think it must surely be overdue for some type of maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No walking around here today. Snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If this were Midsomer (Of the Brit mystery series), you would stumble upon a muddy corpse in your walk.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.