Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, January 14, 2024

The movie I watched last week

 Well, it came in second on my list of movies on Prime that I'd have to pay for. I watched Barbie and was fine with the low charge for it. 

This last week I saw Oppenheimer. (I wrote this before the Golden Globe awards, where it won 4 categories.) I see why so many people were not happy with all the various hearings and committee meetings after the fact of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs, and Japan's surrender. The hearings dragged on and on. Yes the beginning of the cold war was happening. Yes we had to see Oppenheimer's thought process regarding Communism, the H-bomb, the possibilities of future nuclear wars. But hey, enough was enough.

A lot of that could have been cut, in my humble opinion as an editor of writing, not films.

I told people I wanted to see it on the big screen so I could see the shots that were taken historically of the early tests. My friends told me not to bother. They were right. No historic footage was used. All just actors and flashing flames.




I've worked at Oak Ridge TN, and am familiar with radiation and other side effects of working with uranium...psychologically you see alcoholism and addiction in the scientists.

I've seen lots of news casts about the atomic bomb and the hydrogen bomb, including seeing areas hit by them in Japan.

What's going on with Hollywood in this film that nothing, absolutely nothing that was real was included in the movie?

Interesting to see how the various scientists had different opinions which wove throughout the film. I honestly lost track of who was who, all white men in white shirts with dark ties!

Interesting to see just a bit of how Oppenheimer was thinking...but leaving out his own thoughts and feelings for all the women. They just appear suddenly and have no meaning to him! Why do you think he wanted them? Geese, maybe some thought of his might have focused on that. I guess I want some psychological motivation to show in his life...but not in this film.

Nope...just a matter of passing interest, in order to show he was a womanizer. But lets spend about an hour extra focusing on the Communism/spy questions. It was mostly politics!

I give it a thumbs down, or maybe 2 out of 5 stars.

Not one I can recommend.


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm quite open to hearing from someone who has seen it, and perhaps liked it...

      Delete
  2. The subject matter hasn't appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm interested in the science (as much as I can understand it) and the psychological aspects of Oppenheimer's decisions.

      Delete
  3. I have not seen the Barbie or Oppenheimer! Take care, stay warm and safe. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can certainly have a full life without seeing these two movies!

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I rarely watch movies so I won’t watch this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to read your honest review. Neither movie appealed to me. I dislike the way Hollywood twists history. Many people, my husband for one, assume that what the movies show is accurate. I am always looking up the true story to read to him, but even so he often forgets that and remembers the movie version. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. Not that I was planning on seeing it. But now I won't wonder if I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.